In the midst of winter, the air is so dry and our skin really feels it. That is why most of us choose to use a humidifier in our home. Below, we list 9 benefits of humidifiers and then we explain house to clean humidifiers.
- Improve the air quality in your home
- Prevent dry, itchy skin
- Prevent dry eyes and nosebleeds
- Moisture in the air makes your home feel warmer
- Prevent static
- Prevent damage to wood furniture and floors
- May help to relieve allergy symptoms
- Help prevent airborne illnesses; researchers have found that humidity levels above 40% rapidly deactivate virus particles
- Reduce snoring
We can see from the list above that the benefits are numerous! While it is highly recommended to use a humidifier in your home, it is just as important to sanitize your humidifier often. The most important reason why you should keep your humidifier clean is to prevent spreading potentially harmful bacteria and mold into the air. Without frequent disinfection and cleaning, the water in your humidifier will become stagnate. Which means, if your humidifier is being used without properly disinfecting it, you run the risk of releasing contaminated water vapor into the air. We know you don’t want to be breathing that in! We all want to maintain the benefits of humidifiers in our homes.
Here is one way to keep your unit clean and disinfected so you can maximize all of those benefits:
- Each time you add water to your unit, make sure to empty any standing water from the basin and wipe out the water well. When refilling, use distilled water if possible. It has less minerals in it.
- Every few days, take a some time to give the unit a thorough cleaning and disinfecting
- First, unplug the unit from the wall and empty any remaining water into the sink
- Second, disassemble all of the parts
- If your humidifier has a filter, you may use cool running water to rinse this and then allow it to air dry while cleaning the rest of the unit
- Using a toothbrush and undiluted white vinegar, scrub to remove any scale build-up. If necessary, you may allow the vinegar to soak in the water reservoir for about 30 minutes before beginning to scrub
- Then, using a mixture of 1 tsp of bleach to 1 gallon of water (preferably, distilled) fill the tank about halfway. Close the lid tightly, then swirl the mixture around to coat all inside surfaces of the tank. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Afterwards, rinse all parts thoroughly until the bleach scent is eliminated. This may take a few rinses.
- Once all parts are rinsed thoroughly, allow to air dry before reassembling the unit.
There you have it! We hope you this article helped you realize more benefits of humidifiers in your home. Now you can breathe easy. Your health and home will thank you for it!
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you keep the rest of your house clean, please contact us.