As February draws close, we all start to feel a little stir crazy being indoors more than we would like. We miss the sun, the smell of flowers, the green of the grass, etc. Many of us experience the winter blues in Rochester Hills, MI! Here we will give you six ways to beat the winter blues.
The winter blues is a very real thing. One great idea for combating the “cooped up” feeling is to surround yourself, and your home, with scents that give you a mood pick-me-up.
The power of scent cannot be underestimated. In addition to being the sense most closely linked to our memories, smell also triggers emotions. The perfume industry spends vast amounts of money based on this connection! So, what are some ways to bring the power of scent into our home? It can be much more than just spraying an artificial freshener into the air.
Here are some great ways to fill your home with scent, and get yourself out of the winter doldrums:
- A bouquet of flowers: This is a great one for also reminding us that spring is just around the corner. They not only brighten up our space, but they smell amazing.
- Plants: While most of them do not have a scent, they are great air purifiers!
- Stovetop Potpourri: This is an amazing way to not only fill the air with scent, but it also humidifies the air at the same time. Your dry, winter skin will thank you. Take a medium or large pot and fill with water. Add items like lemon & rosemary, or lime & mint, or go spicy with ginger & cinnamon. Let the water heat up to a simmer. As the water evaporates, keep adding more water. Be creative and try different ingredients!
- Use an essential oil diffuser: There are so many essential oil fragrances out there. Just do your research to find a reputable brand that uses true essential oils and not just fillers.
- Bake something delicious: Not only will your taste buds thank you, but you will get to enjoy the warm and yummy scent of dessert while it bakes.
- Change your air filters: This is great to do anytime of year, but especially with all of the germs floating around in winter… keep your air as clean as possible by swapping out your air filters.
We provided six ways to beat the winter blues. Do you have any additional ideas that you could share with our readers?